Re: HIST: Origin of Early Hybrids

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

James Brooks writes:
> At least Lemon and his ilk knew one parent. As I remember, Dykes
introduced Gold Seal from a plant that just appeared in his garden, neither
parent known!

Both these cases may represent plants that are hybrids, but neither is an
example of hybridizing as I understand it, which involves a higher level of
conscious human intent and control of the reproductive processes than has
occurred in these examples.

essas.(Tigger, the kitten, agrees with me - or with you, or has ideas of
his own - the most likely alternative).
> Hybridizing has evolved from man doing the pollen dabbing rather than
relying on bees,  > which are still the most effictive pollinators, but
these are still flowers introduced into > trade as new varieties, using the
hybridizers main tool of selection of which varieties to > grow in

I would rather say "Hybridizing originated from humans doing the pollen
daubing . . . "
Hybridizing provides material to which selection can be applied and does so
somewhat more efficiently than collecting seeds from bee pods; in iris
breeding, the main tool of hybridizing is the tweezer (the main tool of
selection is the spade).

> Hybridizing has certainly gone through many advances: hand pollination,
tetraploidy etc, > just as cars have gone from hand cranks to electric
starters, and then to automatic > transmissions and power steering. But
hybridizing, the selection and introduction into > trade of new varieties,
is still hybridizing, just as a car is still a car, whether a Reo or a >

In the last sentence you seem to have said that hybridizing is itself, but
it is also two other things as well. To pursue your own analogy,
hybridizing is a car, but it is also an airplane and a motorboat. Perhaps
we need an agreed definition of hybridizing. Is it the intentional,
controlled sexual reproduction of plants or animals by human agency, which
was my intent in using the term, or is it the whole process of plant
breeding, selection, propagation, and marketing, as you have implied, or is
it something else?

ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
For details,