Re: HIST: Origin of Early Hybrids

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HIST: Origin of Early Hybrids
  • From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:10:09 -0700

From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>

Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> In the last sentence you seem to have said that hybridizing is itself, but
> it is also two other things as well. To pursue your own analogy,
> hybridizing is a car, but it is also an airplane and a motorboat. Perhaps
> we need an agreed definition of hybridizing. Is it the intentional,
> controlled sexual reproduction of plants or animals by human agency, which
> was my intent in using the term, or is it the whole process of plant
> breeding, selection, propagation, and marketing, as you have implied, or is
> it something else?

This is an interesting discussion.  Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works
I will add the following.  A friend of mine prefers to be called a 'plant
breeder' rather than a 'plant hybridizer'.  His rationale is that insects, wind
and accidents of nature create valid hybrids but he *intentionally* breeds for
hybrids which he hopes and expects will exhibit certain traits which he is
looking for.
Splitting hairs?

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC  Zone 5

ONElist members, don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist!
Join our community member news update