Re: HIST: Origin of Early Hybrids

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>we need an agreed definition of hybridizing. Is it the intentional,
>controlled sexual reproduction of plants or animals by human agency, which
>was my intent in using the term, or is it the whole process of plant
>breeding, selection, propagation, and marketing, as you have implied, or is
>it something else?

>Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 2)

When in doubt I always reach for the dictionary. Mine defines hybridising as
producing, or causing to produce hybrids. Bees can do this, as well as
humans, and selection doesn't enter the picture at this stage. Hybridisation
was happening in nature well before man made his first deliberate cross, or
first chose to propogate a natural hybrid.
That's my 2p anyway.
cheers, Jan

ONElist members, don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist!
Join our community member news update