Re: CULT: another unanswered question - award winners?

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

>When rumors first were posted about AIS award winners, I asked if
>anybody in parts of the country where not all TBs grow well (outside of
>iris heaven) had experience with any of the new AM or HM winners.

For what it's worth here in my part of Texas where the heat and sun are
taking a toll on my plants, including some of the irises, I grew the
(didn't check out the HM list).  This is a long post.

HELLO DARKNESS - grew & bloomed better the second season.  Does
not currently appear near death in the heat, but sure doesn't look good
either.  Has been a slow increaser so far.

YAQUINA BLUE  - a goner.  It bloomed out with no increase.  Nice stalk,
but I grew some others in the color class which didn't bloom out and I
liked them as well, so probably won't replace it.

DARK WATERS - one of the rare rotters here.  'Course it was a new
purchase.  Trying it again this year.  However, none of the medians
have/are doing especially well here.  Maybe in the future.

MAGNIFICENT OBESSION.  This arilbred has actually grown pretty
well, but has not attempted to bloom yet.  This will be the third season
and chance coming up.

TENNESSEE GENTLEMAN.  I wish I liked the looks better.  This was
one of the better performers last spring and currently is holding up well
under our weather conditions.  Had good increase.  Anything that does
as well as this one has done in the garden gets lots of chances, even
if I'm not that fond of the bloom.  Besides, maybe I'll like it better next

Assuming it is a correctly named rhizome, of course.  Neither of which
have been especially vigorous for me so far.  Both look about the same
now.  Probably won't die, but sure are stressed.

ANACRUSIS.  Another arilbred.  Wildly prolific increaser the first year,
no bloom.  Completely dormant here at the moment (I hope it's dormancy
of the returning kind, anyway).

CAJUN SUNRISE.  This LA  did really well.  Looks pretty good now in
spite of no water for several weeks (I do try to give the LAs some extra -
it just doesn't always work that way).  All the LAs are proving tough, and
only one other looks better than CS in terms of foliage.  I really like the
bloom on this one too.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 - and no doubt another scorcher of a day.

ATTN ONELIST USERS: stay current on the latest activities,
programs, & features at ONElist by joining our member newsletter at