Re: CULT: another unanswered question - award winners?

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

 Linda Mann wrote:
> >When rumors first were posted about AIS award winners, I asked if
> >anybody in parts of the country where not all TBs grow well (outside of
> >iris heaven) had experience with any of the new AM or HM winners.

Most bearded irises will survive and persist here, but performance varies
widely from one cultivar to another. For what it's worth here are my
observations on the '99 award winners that I have grown long enough to be
able to evaluate:

HELLO DARKNESS - very prone to Botrytis rot - lost it once, and this year
had one stalk on a 4-year clump with barely enough increase left over to
replant. (It did not receive my vote)

YAQUINA BLUE  - also prone to Botrytis, but not as bad as HD. Beautiful
flower and stalk, but not as generous with its bloom as many others (Also
did not receive my vote)  y4treooooooooooo |,f,lllllhuy (Didn't get
Tigger's, either)

 DARK WATERS - very reliable and prolific performer; long blooming (a full
month in bloom this spring) with beautifully formed dark blue-violet
flowers. (Did get my vote)

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN - my opinion is on record that this one is a Dykes
candidate, so naturally it disappointed this year by exhibiting scorch-like
symptoms and putting up one scrawny, undergrown stalk (Still got my vote -
one is supposed to evaluate a cultivar over a number of bloom seasons)

BOOGIE WOOGIE - quite distinctive appearance, but a mediocre performer;
smallish flowers,shortish stalks, and not many of them. (No cigar)

BEWILDERBEAST- not my personal favorite among the Kasperek intros; Botrytis
took it to the great iris garden in the sky this spring. (Not marked on my
ballot)

BRINDLED BEAUTY - reliable and bloomable; maybe just a bit too much -
didn't find a whole lot of increase when I went to replant it a few weeks
ago. (Got my vote, anyway)

FANCY WOMAN - a non-starter here; grows but hasn't bloomed and I know of
many better foliage plants (Can't vote for what you don't see)

PACIFIC DESTINY - an iris to cry for - absolutely the most gorgeous flower
I can imagine- form, substance, proportion, color saturation, you name it -
combined with abysmal branching that hugs the stalk like an anaconda
(Couldn't squeeze a vote out of me)

The jury is still out on most of the other '99 award winners I grow.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
CONNECT to people with the same interests.