CULT: Performance of Award Winners

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

On 21 Aug 99, at 9:58, Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
>

>  For what it's worth here are my
> observations on the '99 award winners that I have grown long enough to be
> able to evaluate:

	I am comparing notes with Jeff.  Our climates vary
considerably, so the following is how Jeff's list of award winners
grows in Mississippi....damp, humid climate vs. high, dry desert-
like.  These are just the facts and are not meant to be
argumentative.

> HELLO DARKNESS - very prone to Botrytis rot - lost it once, and this year
> had one stalk on a 4-year clump with barely enough increase left over to
> replant. (It did not receive my vote)

	HD in MS does not exhibit any of the problems you mentioned.
 It is fully deserving of its awards as it grows locally.  Outstanding!

> YAQUINA BLUE  - also prone to Botrytis, but not as bad as HD. Beautiful
> flower and stalk, but not as generous with its bloom as many others (Also
> did not receive my vote)  y4treooooooooooo |,f,lllllhuy (Didn't get
> Tigger's, either)

	Excellent here and grows like BREAKERS.  No problems with
it.  Guess it will always be too late for the shows.

>  DARK WATERS - very reliable and prolific performer; long blooming (a full
> month in bloom this spring) with beautifully formed dark blue-violet
> flowers. (Did get my vote)

	Don't grow this one and don't know who does locally.

> STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN - my opinion is on record that this one is a Dykes
> candidate, so naturally it disappointed this year by exhibiting
> scorch-like symptoms and putting up one scrawny, undergrown stalk (Still
> got my vote - one is supposed to evaluate a cultivar over a number of
> bloom seasons)

	Stellar performer in both the show and garden.  If there is a fault
with this iris, I have yet to find it.  It won QOS in our show this
year. Four stars every year I  have grown it.  Should be the Dykes
in 2000!

> BOOGIE WOOGIE - quite distinctive appearance, but a mediocre performer;
> smallish flowers,shortish stalks, and not many of them. (No cigar)

	BW, I agree with the above.  It is an IB locally if you can get it
to bloom.  The only time  it bloomed well for me was on a first year
plant, and it won QOS for me.  I started dividing it yearly, but that
hasn't caused it to do any better either.  No, I will not vote for it.

> BEWILDERBEAST- not my personal favorite among the Kasperek intros;
> Botrytis took it to the great iris garden in the sky this spring. (Not
> marked on my ballot)
>
> BRINDLED BEAUTY - reliable and bloomable; maybe just a bit too much -
> didn't find a whole lot of increase when I went to replant it a few weeks
> ago. (Got my vote, anyway)

	I cannot get any of the usual broken color things to perform well
here and, therefore, do not vote for them.  Only occasionally has
MARIA TORMENA strutted her stuff, and I really liked her when
she did.  I am looking forward to blooming Keith Keppel's BROKEN
DREAMS and Virginia Keyser's ZIGGY and hope to mate these
two for a completely different set of broken color genes.  Neither of
these is out of traditional broken color lines.

> FANCY WOMAN - a non-starter here; grows but hasn't bloomed and I know of
> many better foliage plants (Can't vote for what you don't see)

	Our late cold snaps get this one every year.  Its bloom season
is much too early for this climate.  I have not seen this one bloom
locally.

> PACIFIC DESTINY - an iris to cry for - absolutely the most gorgeous flower
> I can imagine- form, substance, proportion, color saturation, you name it
> - combined with abysmal branching that hugs the stalk like an anaconda
> (Couldn't squeeze a vote out of me)

	Agreed!  I threw this out a long, long time ago.  I really didn't
think the bloom was that pretty either.

The jury is still out on most of the other '99 award winners I grow.

If you can grow all of these up to the optimum, please chime in.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8

> ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
> CONNECT to people with the same interests.

Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
...and YOU can WIN $100 to Amazon.com.  For details, go to