Re: HYB: Pollen

From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>

I have read just about everything I can get my hands on about hybridizing
irises, and have even done it and been shown better ways to do it than the
way I had done it, but of all the sourses I have encountered, not one
mention was made regarding the following:

At what stage of the iris (TB) flower's developement do the anthers dishease
the pollen? Or more simply, when does the pollen become light and fluffy and
ready to use?  Is it when the flower is fully open or when it is partially
closed, when it is morning after being fully opened, when it is dry in the
afternoon when the flower is fully opened?

In addition, when does the stamen become receptive?  Usually many vegetable
flowers become receptive to pollen prior to fully opening.  Is this the same
with TB iris blooms?

I already know that if the pollen is ready but the stamen is not, that if
you pollinate it, it will work once the stamen becomes receptive if there is
pollen sitting on it, so I suspect the recepivity of the flower peaks after
it is fully opened.  But, I am not sure.  I have just daubled with it and if
it takes it takes, if it doesn't then it doesn't, but I would like to be
more scientific with my crosses so that I have a larger percentage of those
that take.

Also, is crossing a TB self color with a TB bicolor, neglecta, blend, etc.
considered a WIDE CROSS?  If not, what is considered a TB wide cross, and
will there be outbreeding depression to worry about when making a WIDE CROSS
in TB's?

Any and all questions answered will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Patrick Orr
Zone 9

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1