RE: SIB: Siberian Planting

  • To: <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] SIB: Siberian Planting
  • From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:57:20 -0400

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

Yes, considering where you live I would recommend to get this Siberian iris
planted into the ground ASAP. Try not to disturb the rooting when planting.
First prepare the planting area by providing a generous amount of top soil
mixed with well rotted (old) manure. Dig the hole to fit the plant rooting
complete with the pot soil. Make sure the rhizome is at least 2 to 3 inches
below the surface and add mulch afterwards. This will provide a little
winter protection should you have light or no snow cover during winter and
is also beneficial during the summer months helping retain moisture content
which Siberian iris prefer. Keep the new planting well watered through to
the onset of winter.
Next year you should see some fairly vigorous growth and increase from your
new plant. Enjoy!

Other more detailed Siberian iris cultural requirements/advice may be found
at the following CIS URL:
http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS/siberian.html
You will find a link to the Society for Siberian Iris on the above page as
well.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca <mailto:cris@netcom.ca>
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html
Siberian-Species Convention 2003 website:
http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/sib2003.html

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
Drawing is held each week through August 20.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html