CULT: Bloom-out

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

   I had three rhizomes this spring that were candidates
for bloom-out - stalks on all three, but no increase. I
followed the advice that was previously on the list:

Leave stalk on. I didn't get to hybridize these to get a
seed pod on them - two of the three stalks rotted away soon
after bloom season.

Give additional water. Hard to do this year with our
drought, but they did get some poured on them now and then.

Cut notches in sides of rhizome - this is reputed to cause
new increase to form at the site of the cut.

   All three are now showing small increases. None of the
increases are at the site of the cuts I made.
   If you really want to hang onto something that looks
bloomed out, I suggest just leaving it in the ground and
see what happens. It took three months for little buds to
show on these.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"Here come Ol' Flattop!"
Do You Yahoo!?

Congratulations to Naveen Kabir.
This week's FRIENDS&FAMILY WINNER!  To enter go to: