RE: HYB: Pollen

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From:  Patrick Orr
At what stage of the iris (TB) flower's developement do the anthers
dishease the pollen? Or more simply, when does the pollen become light and
fluffy and ready to use? <<<<

First things first..... to be certain that no bees have added pollen to the
anthers you plan to use, open the blooms yourself on the papa plant and
take the anthers inside to finish ripening. Out of direct sun, they should
be properly fluffy and ready to use anywhere from 4 to 12 hours after

>>>In addition, when does the stamen become receptive? <<<

You can pollinate the pod parent as many as 6 days before the bloom would
open naturally and still get takes. The stigmatic lip holds the pollen
nicely and may help keep the pollen from drying out, and nature takes over
when the plant is ready. (I've been playing with "pushing" crosses this
year just to see how early I can get away with it!)

I still have the page on the method I use for stripping petals up at htt
p://www.povn.com/rock/stripshow.html if this would help you.

The process was perfected using the TBs and works wonderfully with them.
Whether or not a cross of TB to TB will result in a pod will rely a lot on
how compatible the plants are.

Good luck.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b

Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
...and YOU can WIN $100 to Amazon.com.  For details, go to