HYB: Color - in pursuit of red

From: Irisborer@aol.com

I will be helping a young man at the 'zine GARDEN DESIGN to compile an
article on Holy Grail colors in plants.   That is, colors are are not found
in a particular plant - and so are much sought.

Like blue roses
Blue daylilies
Orange herbaceous peonies
and.....fire engine red irises

I warn people at iris sales that we use some 'artistic license' when
proclaiming colors (a source of much frustration to some folks... ) - so that
the irises we have as RED are going to be maroon, blood red, reddish purple
and so on.  But not lipstick red.

I had heard some time ago that one large iris grower was putting considerable
cash into some gene splicing research to try to drag the red into irises....
I don't know how that's coming (or if it's even true).

So - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject....   or any information
that might make this young man's story more interesting (and get the iris
name out there....).

I am PR Chair for AIS - and my motto is "there's no such thing as bad
publicity"....  and I will qualify that statement to say that this only
applies to benign things like plants.

Kathy Guest - who knows that one provocative question thrown to the list is
worth about 20 hours of research