Re: Re: SPEC: I. lazica

From: "Paul Tyerman" <tyerman@hotmail.com>

>From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>

>Last fall, Rick Tasco of Superstition Gardens sent me starts of I.
>lazica and I. unguicularis.  Somebody on iris list had posted that they
>thought lazica was supposed to be more frost tolerant than
>unguicularis.  I had them both in pots, but managed to forget to bring
>them in the house during one of our errant early freezes last fall and
>managed to kill unguicularis, but lazica is still quite healthy and
>growing well in its pot.  Thus substantiating the rumoured greater frost
>tolerance of lazica.:<

Howdy Linda,
     What do you regard as an early freeze?  i.e What temperature did you
get down to?  We get down to -8'c (ish) and both varieties are fine, but I
realise that this is nothing compared to some parts of the world.  I.
unguicularis has been growing here for years and we've been down to -11'c in
the past without hurting it.  If your plants are in pots they will be more
likely to be frost affected as their roots get colder..... my I. lazica is
now in the ground which is what it seemed to need to flower.

  It didn't bloom last winter/spring & I'm not
>sure what to do to lure it into bloom.  Knowing that it blooms with the
>daffodils is helpful.

Does this mean that I. lazica is only a late Winter/Spring flowerer?  Our I.
unguicularis have been flowering since April (Autumn) but the I. lazica has
only just sent up its first flowers.  Do you mean that it may flower later
than the rest?  In the past I've found that I can expect flowers on I.
unguicularis from around March (sporadic) to September (sporadic) with
pretty solid flowering in between.  It's currently the end of August and we
are having the best flowering from them for the year (Cold snap for the last
month after a mild Autumn.... this may have brought I. lazica into flower).
It'll be interesting if I. lazica brings the flowering time for the winter
irises through into the TB time.  That'd be cool!!

Cheers.        Paul T.

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1