RE: SPEC: I. lazica

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

I wrote:
>>I had them both [lazica and unguicularis] in pots, but managed to forget to bring
>>them in the house during one of our errant early freezes last fall and
>>managed to kill unguicularis, but lazica is still quite healthy and
>>growing well in its pot.  Thus substantiating the rumoured greater frost
>>tolerance of lazica.:<

>What do you regard as an early freeze?  i.e What temperature did you
>get down to?

Winter temperatures often get down below zero F, tho not last year.  I
don't remember for sure what temperature hit these guys last fall, but
I'd say it wasn't below 20 F - maybe upper 20s F.

>We get down to -8'c (ish) and both varieties are fine,

Let's see, using my crude approximator for conversions that's about 2 X
-8 = -16, plus 32 ~ 16 F - no, I don't think it was that cold, but I
don't really remember.   I might have griped about it onlist so it may
be in the archives.  My plans for it this fall are to split it and put
half in the ground and keep the other half alive in a pot indoors.

> I. unguicularis has been growing here for years and we've been down to -11'c in
> the past without hurting it.

Wow - I know it didn't get that cold.  Nuts, wish I had stuck the thing
in the ground - if it can handle those temperatures, some mulch would
have easily kept it alive last winter.

>>sure what to do to lure it into bloom.  Knowing that it blooms with the
>>daffodils is helpful.

> Does this mean ...[several questions about blooming behavior]

Beats me...there may be something in the archives if nobody else onlist
right now knows anything.  Try a search for <lazica AND unguicularis> -
maybe post a summary of what you find out?  If you don't have time &
nobody else posts anything, I'll try to do it for you next weekend.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to: