Re: HYB: Starship Enterprise

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>
>Can anyone think of a good iris to cross with Starship Enterprise (SE)?
>Does anyone know of some way to improve it?
>(I hear bloom count is low)
>(Does it rebloom?)
>(Is it disease resistant?)
>I think adding colorful flounces to it would make it more interesting, like
>it is flying, or flaring out the falls would give it the look of a spaceship
>in flight through the galaxy,  and it is my understanding that Space Age
>irises have more disesase resistance to them. Could there possibly be an
>iris that might produce and offspring that would be a RE SA if crossed with
>Any ideas?  Lets figure this out before we have to get our tweezers ready.
>Patrick Orr
>Zone 9 - and currently working on creating a website about gardening and
Dear Patrick:  Use something very hardy on STARSHIP ENTERPRIZE . We do not
want more weak growers. Use something bicolor in the hope of retaining the
color pattern. If you want SA, how about the latest Dykes Medal winner?
Pollen will usually fluff up once the little cases in which it is stored on
the anther open up. On some varieties they never do, and others need to be
slit open, and will then usually produce good pollen.   The stigmatic lip
should look moist; after the flower is open for two days it should look dry
. Usually the best time for the pollination is shortly after the flower
opens.  Lloyd Zurbrigg Durham NC

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.