Re: CULT: Performance of Award Winners

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

Hi Walter,
I'll toss in a performance report.
-----Original Message-----

> HELLO DARKNESS - very prone to Botrytis rot - lost it once, and this year
> had one stalk on a 4-year clump with barely enough increase left over to
> replant. (It did not receive my vote)

HD in MS does not exhibit any of the problems you mentioned.
It is fully deserving of its awards as it grows locally.  Outstanding!

Does great here, good parent, always blooms, average increase.

> YAQUINA BLUE  - also prone to Botrytis, but not as bad as HD. Beautiful
> flower and stalk, but not as generous with its bloom as many others (Also
> did not receive my vote)  y4treooooooooooo |,f,lllllhuy (Didn't get
> Tigger's, either)

Excellent here and grows like BREAKERS.  No problems with
it.  Guess it will always be too late for the shows.

Grows like a weed here.  Not even a late flower in our garden, right at mid
season.  Tall stalks, huge flowers, well branched and good bud count.

>  DARK WATERS - very reliable and prolific performer; long blooming (a full
> month in bloom this spring) with beautifully formed dark blue-violet
> flowers. (Did get my vote)

Grows well, normal bloom time, nothing wrong with it that I can see.

> STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN - my opinion is on record that this one is a Dykes
> candidate, so naturally it disappointed this year by exhibiting
> scorch-like symptoms and putting up one scrawny, undergrown stalk (Still
> got my vote - one is supposed to evaluate a cultivar over a number of
> bloom seasons)

Stellar performer in both the show and garden.  If there is a fault
with this iris, I have yet to find it.  It won QOS in our show this
year. Four stars every year I  have grown it.  Should be the Dykes
in 2000!

Ditto!  Only knock I can find on this one is that it has smallish flowers.

> BOOGIE WOOGIE - quite distinctive appearance, but a mediocre performer;
> smallish flowers,shortish stalks, and not many of them. (No cigar)

BW, I agree with the above.  It is an IB locally if you can get it
to bloom.  The only time  it bloomed well for me was on a first year
plant, and it won QOS for me.  I started dividing it yearly, but that
hasn't caused it to do any better either.  No, I will not vote for it.

Agreed, always blooms at about 25 inches with about 5 buds and small clumpy
flowers.  Doesn't even grow well here and that is a tough thing to do.

> BEWILDERBEAST- not my personal favorite among the Kasperek intros;
> Botrytis took it to the great iris garden in the sky this spring. (Not
> marked on my ballot)
>
> BRINDLED BEAUTY - reliable and bloomable; maybe just a bit too much -
> didn't find a whole lot of increase when I went to replant it a few weeks
> ago. (Got my vote, anyway)

I cannot get any of the usual broken color things to perform well
here and, therefore, do not vote for them.  Only occasionally has
MARIA TORMENA strutted her stuff, and I really liked her when
she did.  I am looking forward to blooming Keith Keppel's BROKEN
DREAMS and Virginia Keyser's ZIGGY and hope to mate these
two for a completely different set of broken color genes.  Neither of
these is out of traditional broken color lines.

BC things are always a lot of fun but typically don't increase well.  Both
BEWILDERBEAST and BRINDLED BEAUTY do OK here.  Side Note:  BROKEN DREAMS did
great last spring with an average of three increases per plant with all
three plants we had blooming.  Was a tad bit clumpy but I did a lot of work
with it anyway.

> FANCY WOMAN - a non-starter here; grows but hasn't bloomed and I know of
> many better foliage plants (Can't vote for what you don't see)

Our late cold snaps get this one every year.  Its bloom season
is much too early for this climate.  I have not seen this one bloom
locally.

Always one of the first to bloom, believe it or not got hit by a late cold
spell last spring.  Usually a very nice flower and good increaser.

> PACIFIC DESTINY - an iris to cry for - absolutely the most gorgeous flower
> I can imagine- form, substance, proportion, color saturation, you name it
> - combined with abysmal branching that hugs the stalk like an anaconda
> (Couldn't squeeze a vote out of me)

Agreed!  I threw this out a long, long time ago.  I really didn't
think the bloom was that pretty either.

Yep, grows well, always blooms but  toes in to the branches and sometimes
blooms on the wrong side or right into the stalk.  Used it once for a parent
and it passed the tight branching right on down to all but one of the
offspring.  Ooops!  Forgot I gave it another chance this year with a very
widely spaced blue SA seedling.

Mike Sutton

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to: