Re: HIST: Flags

From: Diana Winship <mikesmom@ix.netcom.com>

Michael D. Greenfield wrote:
 Does anyone know how it is that some people call iris flags?

My great grand mother used to tell us stories whenever we would go to
visit her during the summer holidays. She once told us that during the
Confederate war, there were a group of Yankee soldiers who were wanting
to surrender to the Confederates but didn't have any white material to
use as a flag. There was however, a field of white irises growing
nearby, and they used a large group of the stalks with flowers to wave.
They were far enough away, that the Rebels couldn't tell that it was
flowers they were waving until the Yankees were close enough to yell "We
That was her story, and I'm sticking to it.

Diana Winship
Richardson, Tx.

Gardeners Plant gardens to relax ....
then spend all their time working in them!

ATTENTION ONElist MEMBERS:  Get your ONElist news!