Rare irises

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Dennis asked about Iris zaprjagajewii and Jan put a picture on the
Internet.  I should note that there is a photo in the Quarterly Bulletin
of the Alpine Garden Society [vol 66 # 3 1998]and two articles about
growing these rare, and difficult species.  In particular, one by Tony
Hall [The cultivation of juno irises] is excellent.  There are a number
of good photos in this article adn volume. Tony is the gardener at Kew
responsible for the cold greenhouse and an expert on growing these
desert-alpine irises.

The other person who grows a number, and collects them in the wild, is
Henrik Zetterlund at the Gotenberg Botanic Garden where he has an
extensive cold alpine greenhouse facility.  Since he visited me in
Ottawa, I have received a number of seeds of these species but they have
not germinated - apparently a wait of up to ten years is not

Ian, in Ottawa who has now returned from a month visiting botanic
gardens and will no doubt complete reading the e-mail by Christmas!

ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
CONNECT to people with the same interests.