Re: Re: SPU -help!

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Donald Eaves wrote:
> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
> Hello Folks,
> Received an order today from Shepard Iris Garden and now have
> all these spuria rhizomes in plastic bags which I won't be able to do
> anything with until the weekend.  What to do?  Put them in the vegetable
> bin of the frig as is?  Slit the bags for air?  Leave them as is in the air
> conditioning?  What?

Do the same as you would for any other beardless iris.

Unwrap them and stick them in a bucket of water so at least at all the roots
are covered. Change the water every several days and you can keep them for
weeks that way. Put the buckets in a shady place (*no* direct sun), indirect
light is ok. Once new white roots start to form, you can plant them.

I put baggies in 1 gal pots fill part way with water and put 3-4 plants per
pot. *DO NOT* let the roots dry out. SPUs go dormant during the summer and
once they wake you want them to stay awake

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
For program details, go to