Re: CULT: Aussie bloom report

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

Hi Dennis,

You said:

> >Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, where the stalks are starting to thicken
at the base of the SDB's and MOUNTAIN VIOLET has a stem 10" high.  You have
no idea how much I'm seething with envy when I keep hearing bloom reports
from you just months after mine have bloomed!  It's no fair!!!
> <g!>  For some reason I expect to hear bloom reports from you when my
garden is buried in 10 feet of snow in December.  Not when it's the middle
of August!<<

Hi Jan and Dennis,

Things are certainly "on the move" here in Sydney too.  Bernard and I were
discussing the season this morning and agree that our season appears to be
about three weeks ahead of normal this year.  This will auger well for our
September garden expo engagements, but the ones at the end of November are
starting to look a bit shaky.

I was out at the garden yesterday and we have spikes in "punch out" status
our first to bloom (hence it's name) but we are usually talking mid to late
September - not late August!

Oh, "punch out" status is the one after you see the spike starting to form
in the foliage.  After that the spikes "punch out" of the foliage and start
heading for the clouds.  This is a sure sign of bloom within about 10 - 15
days hence.

I don't know what is more exciting - the week or so before bloom season when
all of the promise is there or mid season when the promise is delivered!

Cheers for now,
Heather Pryor
Emerald City, Land of Oz.