Re: SPEC: summer blooming winter iris?

At 08:49 PM 8/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
>
>A church a couple blocks from my house has some winter iris. Even though
>
>the leaves are a little longer than they are "supposed" to be, it is
>quite certainly
>Iris unguicularis. It usually blooms starting in November (I'm in the
>Northern
>hemisphere) and continues off and on for a few months. However, even
>though
>it is late summer, I walked by there today and saw two blossoms! Is it
>normal
>for this to happen or is this iris just really confused?
>
> Ken Walker, Concord, CA, USDA zone 9
Ken -
Could you tell us a little more about the winter iris, I. unguicularis?
A couple of years ago I was given some rhizomes of what was supposed to be a winter-blooming iris which bloomed the first time this year, a pretty pale-yellow thing, and then rebloomed in July.
Could this be what I have?

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net