Re: SPEC: summer blooming winter iris?

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: Dean Sliger <deanslgr@kode.net>
>
>Kenneth Walker wrote:
>
>> I. unguicularis is a beardless iris from the western mediteranean. It is
>>adapted to hot
>> dry summers and cool wet winters. It has narrow leaves, usually a foot
>>or two long
>> and can eventually form large dense clumps. The flowers are usually
>>somewhat down
>> in the folliage, particularly in large clumps. They typically come in
>>various shades of
>> lavender and purple with a yellow signal line on the falls, but there
>>are reportedly white forms.
>
>Does anyone know the winter-hardiness Zone for this species?  None of my
>reference books mention a hardiness Zone.

My guess is that it's only hardy to around Zone 8 or so....but it makes a
great container plant.  So it could be grown in any climate, but you just
have to bring it indoors on really cold winter days & nights.

I have been growing a form of it in Cincinnati since September 1998.  And
it's doing real well.  It flowered back in January/February.

Mine did not lose its foliage during summer dormancy.  It looks just like
grass.  Very nice, actually!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ONElist:  home to the world's liveliest email communities.