Re: SPEC: summer blooming winter iris?

From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>

According to "The World of Irises" published by the AIS, "[I. unguicularis] Plants able
to withstand as much as -14 degrees C (6 degrees F) under snow cover are badly
damaged by similar temperatures in an open winter". And according to "The Gardener's
Guide to Growing Irises" by Geoff Stebbings [Britain], "although the buds are frost-
hardy the open blooms are not". Based on this information, I would guess that they
would not thrive much below zone 8. However, Fritz Kohlein, in "Iris", says that
he was able to grow I. cretensis (frequently considered a variety of I. unguicularis)
in Germany outdoors with winter prodection for over 3 years. Has anyone here
grown  them in cooler climates?

   Ken Walker, Concord, CA, USDA zone 9

Dean Sliger wrote:

> Does anyone know the winter-hardiness Zone for this species?  None of my reference books mention a hardiness Zone.

Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
For program details, go to