Re: SPEC: summer blooming winter iris?

From: "Paul Tyerman" <tyerman@hotmail.com>

>From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
>To: iris-talk@onelist.com
>Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: summer blooming winter iris?
>Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:34:44 -0700
>From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
>They typically come in various shades of
>lavender and purple with a yellow signal line on the falls, but there are
>reportedly white

I grow around 6 different forms of this.  They vary from pale blue, through
lavender to sky blue with dark blue/purple splotches on the petals.  I also
have a white form.  All have flowered for me this year (we're just finishing
winter down here in Australia.

>I don't think that there are any yellow forms.

Not that I know of.  Sort of sounds wierd for it.  Would look strange (just
because we're used to the white or blue/mauve forms.

For reference we are Zone 8 as I recall.  We get down to maybe -10'C but
have certainly fallen below that at times in the past.  There are some very
old established clumps around that I know of.  I grew up in a town called
Braidwood near Canberra (where I live now) where there was a historic house
that had very old established clumps where the peacocks used to come and eat
the flowers (No, don't start thinking we have wild peacocks near Canberra,
they were housed within the garden!! ;-).... ).  Now I know that we got down
to -15'C at least one year and it didn't harm them.

Maybe that helps?

Paul Tyerman (Canberra Australia....... Spring!!  Daffodils, jonquils,
tulips starting, nice days and cold nights.  Lovely!!)

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.