Re: [iris-photos] CULT: time duration from seed to introduction?

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

Hello Dennis,
-----Original Message-----

>>>Mike , How many rhizomes on average would you need to have of this or
>>>any other before introduction ?  How many years does it take to have
>>>sufficient stock ?

I can tell you what we do but a lot of it depends on what kind of demand you
expect for your seedlings.  Last year we decided to have a minimum of 100
rhizomes per variety the previous fall before introduction.  For a
designated bonus iris, 400.  We count on a minimum of 3 increases after
bloom for the following digging season.  The years until introduction will
vary with the vigor of the plant.  This year INNOCENT STAR was introduced
from our "H" series of crosses.  It's maiden bloom was in 1995.  Obviously
it increases rapidly.  It's first year after planting it had 11 increases
and bloom.    This is unusual, it takes from 5 to 15 years from seedling to
introduction.  Hybridizers have to be the most patient people in the world!
:-)

>>I have been wondering the same thing.  This year I obtained 2000+ seeds
>>from my hybridizing efforts.  I'll plant these seeds in November (late
>>autumn).  Many will germinate next year.
>>
>>The vast majority probably won't bloom until April/May (spring) of 2002 or
>>even 2003.

If these are re-blooming crosses you may see some of them in the fall of
2000.  Most of the rest you should see in the spring of 2001.  We typically
will see about 25% of our reblooming crosses bloom the fall of the year they
were planted.  About 1 and 1/2 years after the cross was made.  The rest we
(usually) see the following spring, two years after the cross was made.

>>Supposing there is some gorgeous seedling I want to introduce, how soon
>>could I hope to do so?  How much stock do I need?  How much test growing
>>(in other gardens) needs to be done?  How many years?
>>
>>So from seed to introduction, how many years does it take?  Is 5 years
>>reasonable?  4?  maybe 7?

I would say after sending out to test gardens, regionals and nationals 7
years is a more realistic time frame.  You can skip the trials and just
introduce, this will speed up the intro date but hurt your exposure.
Hope that answers  your questions, if not let me know.
Mike

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.