OT: Bio

From: "Sharon A. Ruck" <ruckster@televar.com>

Hello again.  I was on the old list about 3 years ago for a year or so.
We have finally moved to Washington state; the irises went thru 3
transplants last year.  From house to house in July (yes July in East
Texas!!), then into plastic bags in December, into the pumphouse up here,
then into the ground when un-frozen in March.  Out of about 300 or so, I
had a dozen or so actually bloom, utterly amazed me.

I have even found a local source for sharing irises, a Chiropractor in BC
is willing to let me dig all the irises I want out of his HUGE beds at his
office.  I figure September should be a good time for that up here.

It is different learning to garden in zones 3,4,5 all in same location,
coming from zone 8-9.  We got a huge veggie garden in and about 75 by 10
for perennials (fenced).  Another separate bed for irises and lilacs, the
deer won't eat them or SO they say... so far the dog has kept them out of
them at least.

We are building a house, just finished a small cabin and a big storage
shed.  We have 13 chickens in the coop we built.  We hope to have the bath
and greenhouse room on the cabin by end of next month so we can get into
the house by winter.  We are a working homestead, I canned peaches, pickles
and slaw today.  I still have the soap business, it is doing well here.
There are homestead photos at

Good to see Kathy G. is still here, is Caroline Shafner (sp) from east
coast still here, Clarence??  And the gent from DFW who did Louisianna
irises?  I need some info from him if so.

Glad to be back.  I quit the job with NASA, but seem to have less time
instead of more, with building, gardening and soaping.  Like I need another
list to get every day.  Oh well, it is IRISES!!!

Take care all,

Sharon A. Ruck,  Curlew Country Herbs

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElist's NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to