Seed Production

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Weather pattern changes disturb our tranquility and this year is no
exception.  Ottawa has been drier than last year and the very early
season meant that most irises not only bloomed about the same time but
were able to produce a lot of seed.  This is also true of the other
plants.  We have an oak by our back door which, with the help of an army
or squirrels, has rained down the ends of branches and associated acorns
for the last month.  I have gathered up two large garbage tubs so far
and might even go off squillels if the rain continues.  As to irises, I
have one large but not exciting I. spuria which has now produced well
over a quarter of a pound of cleaned seed.  This plant is about two foot
across at the base and four foot high, so it is not a monster.  As the
plant is really not worth propogating extensively, I imagine that I will
throw out the seed despite its impressive seed production.  On the other
hand, the spurian Phoebe - a very large and dramatic bright yellow
flower which I obtained from Bruce Richardson - has produce one pod!

Ian, in Ottawa, where lacustris has started to flower again and I am
praying over four seeds of anguifuga.  Not the rarest iris around but
worth the prayers.

Your anytime, anywhere sports store. Fogdog Sports.