Re: OT [Pond- JI home]

From: "John Lyall" <jlyall@unitec.ac.nz>

It is Spring here in Aucklend.
September 1,  the JI,s have 2 to 5 cm. shoots.
Iris wattei is out. and the gold fish are suddenly very active. { So are
the kingfishers.}

We have had record sunshine for August, and hot days.
Have spent the winter putting in a pond [no. 5] and [what was
supposed to be] a swamp, well bog garden.
In Mt. Eden, a suburb of Auckland we live on an old lava flow, so
pond digging consists of levering up big bits of scoria out of the
It gives me all the stone I need for the margins of the ponds and
walls etc.
However I got a bit enthusiastic with the pick and the crow bar so
the hole for the  bog garden got very deep, a meter and a bit!

 So... pond no 6. [They vary in size from about 2 square meters to
the latest one at about 15 square meters]

I am now identifying my now shooting selected JI hopefuls, putting
them into rich soil/peat/compost/coconut fibre mix and sinking the
large tubs into the new pond.

All the good  selections from an endless perusal of the seedling
book will be in their new sites by October

Your anytime, anywhere sports store. Fogdog Sports.