Re: TB:REB: Lloyd Z strikes again

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>
>Daddy Lloyd Zurbrigg has 'parented' some tough irises - a friend told me
>she had rebloom on BELVI QUEEN so I waded thru the crabgrass to check on
>mine (more to make sure they were still alive & maybe offer them a
>drink) & NORTHWARD HO has a nice tall fat bloomstalk.  Where did that
>come from?  This bed has more clay than the gravelly 'killing fields'
>but we are still in a drought and until the past week, it's been in the
>mid to upper 90s every day, with lows in the low 70s.  Remarkable.  I
>also discovered a bloom stalk growing on PERFUME COUNTER and the last
>bloom on the single stalk of IMMORTALITY this year is open - I've been
>flooding these off and on all summer.  The last stalk on PC cooked
>before all the blooms opened, but we are getting cooler temperatures at
>night now, so maybe this one will make it.
>
>Thanks again Lloyd.
>
>Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
>ps - Don Spoon sez that 1 out of 20 babies of a cross of a continual
>bloomer like Immortality and a oncer like CELEBRATION SONG can be
Dear Linda: Thank you for the praise. NORTHWARD HO has an interesting
pedigree. Its pod parent was the best iris in Earl Hall's garden in respect
to its behavior during the winter, in a test he engaged in some 15 years
ago. That robust plant was from ENGLISH COTTAGE X unknown, but originally
thought to be an onco-bred. I doubt greatly that it was the onco-bred. The
pollen parent of N HO is RE-TREAT, from the late Raymond G. Smith of
Indiana.
  There is no rebloom here. We have had a bit of rain , and the growth
season is upon us again. Hopefully there will be some rebloom for our
Region 4 meeting the end of October. Having lost most of my l998 seeds set
out this spring, due to an early hot-hot spell, I have been watering the
year-old seedlings, with a view to getting them to bloom.
   \Now we are dodging hurricanes. DENNIS is on his way back to us!!!!
Hopefully he will not proceed due west!!!! Lloyd Z. in Durham NC.

ONElist members: don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist
Join our community member news update at