Iris aphylla - easy clean up

  • Subject: Iris aphylla - easy clean up
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

I was out cleaning flowerbeds the other day and was noticing just how easy it is to remove the dead foliage of aphylla and its first generation offspring.
As I breezed through the clean-up of those irises and then painstakingly had to pull dead foliage from the normal TB's and also some pallida hybrids... I wondered if anyone had ever intentionally tried to incorporate this easily-cleaned-leafless trait into modern irises.
I'll bet it's also a big part of the reason why aphylla has been reported by some to be borer resistant - with the leaves coming off so easily, the borer eggs would go with them!