Re: HYB: germination observations

Planting them as a group simply makes it easier to keep track of the cross as a group. Eventually they have to be lined out it's just a matter of when.  One year I tried planting each seed as it germinated in it's own little cell in a plug flat.  it wasn't worth the time or hassle.  Seedlings that are crowded for too long won't stay happy for long though.  If you don't mind losing some of the weaker seedlings to overgrowth from the others then by all means plant as group and only keep the strongest.  In the case of bearded iris just because a seedling is weaker doesn't mean it is "weaker" it may just be smaller because it is a MTB or BB.  I and others are working on minature MTB's as well so it's harder to tell what really is small.  I personally like to squeeze out all of the genetic potential of cross and see what pops up.  Those of us who have done this a while know what I mean...surprises!

I guess it depends on your goals, the types of crosses you make and the space you have to achieve them.