OT: BIO, new to forum

Hello Everyone,
I'm so glad to have finally stumbled onto this forum!

I joined HIPS in Oct 2007 but only joined the AIS last month after being
inspired by a fellow member of my local daylily club during our holiday
potluck meeting. Unfortunately he passed away just as we were getting to know
one another and share our interest in iris.

I'm in northern CO, AIS region 20. I'm so looking forward to attending the
region 20 winter member's meeting later this month.

My interest in iris, gardening in general, and garden photography goes back to
my earliest childhood memories. I gardened with my parents and grandmothers.
One of my grandmothers, now 103yo, hybridized iris as a backyard hobby. She
gave me a seedling when I was in my 20s and I kick myself now for having no
idea what it was that I had been given. I let it go when I sold the property.

I have a lot of interests and hobbies but gardening is one of them that I
always return to. It is a lifetime passion.

I began a landscape design & install in 2005 which was finally ready for
planting in the fall of 2007. That is when I earnestly returned to my passion
of gardening. In the process I was trying to identify some historic iris that
were given to me by my neighbors and stumbled upon HIPS. As I looked through
the photo's I began to be more and more drawn to historic forms. I noticed a
large variety of historics at a local cemetary where some of my ancestors are
buried so decided to begin a project to ID and hopefully map the historic iris
at that cemetary. I love history and have been enjoying reading about the
developments in iris over the years in the book "The World of Iris".

At the same time I began an interest in daylilies and began hybridizing both
iris & daylilies this past season. Most of the iris I have to work with are
unidentified. I'm experimenting with crosses of historics x moderns.

Mostly in regards to iris I'm just trying to figure out the process. I made a
lot of seed this year but am not having great success yet germinating them.
Because I live in a z5 climate I'd like to get a jump on nature by starting
seed indoors. I attempted to follow the directions for starting seed indoors
found in the article "Germinating Iris Seeds" by John Coble and Bob Bauer
which is posted at the Canadian Iris Society website. Since Jan 1 when I
brought the seeds out to germinate at room temperatures (after following the
rinse & refrigeration recommendations) I have had a few germinations but once
planted none of those germinated seeds has emerged with leaves. I have some
siberians that had a few emerge using the same process. The seeds have now
been back in the fridge for a few more weeks to try once again to break the
seed dormancy.

I'm a single mom to 5.5 yo special needs (autism) twins so gardening is
"therapy" for me :)

Well, that's me. I sure look forward to getting to know you all better.

Debra Scott
Timnath CO z5, reg 20
Windows Live: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.