Re: HYB: Seed Germination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seed Germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:51:42 -0500

Interesting that you saw that lull, followed by more germination too, Mary Lou. Almost makes me wish I'd left all the seeds in the fridge except for the ones that had sprouted, but that kind of handling of ~100 different crosses is impossible for my slow, easily distracted self. Waay too many opportunities to mix up labels!

I usually start out just squishing aphids too, but when they get really bad, sprinkle a little systemic pesticide on each pot. Probably wouldn't do that on pots inside the house tho.

Aphid problems seem to start here when there are other frost sensitive plants moved onto the sunporch for the winter - I always assumed the wee bugs came indoors that way.

But the miracle gro is higher nitrogen than germination mix I've used in the past and is causing more lush top growth & that <may> be more appetizing to aphids. They certainly were flourishing before application of the pesticide granules a couple of weeks ago.

<Having to patrol for aphids (I think that's what they are) about
every other day.  First year using Miracle Gro potting mix, first
year I've seen this problem in any but outdoor iris potted to
winter indoors.  These critters can suck the life out of seedlings
in just a few days.  Don't like spraying insecticide in the house, so
I'm squishing them.>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8