Re: HYB: Seed Germination

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seed Germination
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:47:33 -0800 (PST)

Debra,

I wonder two things in looking at your post.  One, and only because
you didn't specifically say it... did you put a damp paper towel in the baggie
with the seeds?  I've been experimenting this year and it appears that about
8cc of water to a whole regular sized paper towel is about right.  I just fold
my papertowel neatly and lay the seeds in beside it.

Two, it is not an
absolute requirement that you rinse the seeds at all, or dry them.  Oh,
wait... if you dry them out you have to soak them... not just rinse them.   I
did that one year and decided it was too much trouble.  (Meanwhile I will pot
each and every seed into an individual pot... go figure)  It seems the
critical thing is the leeching away part.  I observe leaching away as a coffee
colored stain on the paper towel, and then I switch the paper towel out.  I
have germinated day lilly seeds the same way so I suspect sauce for the
goose...

Another stage that appears to be critical... which may not have been
mentioned... ever ... in the archives... is that the seeds go through a
"slime" stage.  I think this is usually about two weeks before the paper towel
is stained.  Depending on the lot the seeds will be anywhere from so oily they
slip from between fingers to completely covered in phlegmy slime.  In my seeds
the slime stage is 4-6 weeks after harvest for those pods that G1 first.
Other pods take longer to slime and stain...

I also think that there is a
post leaching end of the line stage.  I have observed some pods which slime
and stain and then seem to dry out.  This is even when the amount of water in
the burrito remains constant.  I think that at a point the oil in the seed
coat is completely gone, and if the seed has not germinated the seed coat
becomes so porus that it allows the germ structures to rot.  Seeds at this
stage feel something like a piece of peat moss, with similar crumble quality.
Christian