Re: Re: HYB: Seed Germination

Hi

When I refrigerate my seeds, either in burritos or else simply leaving them in the stockings I soaked them in, I find it a good idea to line the bottom of the plastic tub with sphagnum moss. This provides drainage and stops seeds getting to wet, but also ensures a good level of humidity in the container.

Colleen Modra
South Australia

christian foster wrote:
I didn't see this post from Mary Lou, I probably skimmed too quickly.

Mary
Lou, I didn't realize you were leaving your seeds in the fridge for more than
a year also! Goodness, I feel like I also soak and squeeze replacement paper
towels whenever they start to shred.  Unlike Christian, I don't replace them
when they are dirty, just when they get holes in them.<

Anyway, I wanted to
comment.  The reason that I am now measuring the amount of water I put into my
burrito is because it seemed to me that some seed groups were drowning and
rotting as opposed to leaching and germinating.  Now, this was not by any
means a scientific observation, but given the significant increase in
germination rates this year I feel it is supported.  Many of the crosses that
are germinating this year are the third or fourth year that cross produced a
pod, so genetic factors are somewhat mitigated.

Also, busy-ness in the last
few weeks may add evidence that even freshly germinated seed can survive
drying out before "pop-tart".  Have to wait until May to do that body count,
though.

Christian