CULT: Where will late rebloomers prosper?

  • To: <iris@hort.net>
  • Subject: CULT: Where will late rebloomers prosper?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:16:45 -0500

Most of my SDB and IB rebloomers do so in mid-to-late fall and before the
freezes in an ordinary year.  Sometimes, they shrug off a light freeze and
bloom anyhow.  My TB rebloomer 'Haunting' blooms at Halloween, except when it
decides to skip a season.  I have some pretty TB seedlings, though, which
rebloom so late that one can count on them being caught by freezes if
stringent efforts aren't made to protect them.  So, in effect, they aren't
successful rebloomers here in their home ground.  The question, then, becomes:
Might they rebloom successfully in a warmer climate, such as the Southwest, or
even in the Pacific Northwest or parts of California?  Do any other
hybridizers have experience with this?  --  Griff