From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
Subject: [iris] Re: Plastic labels
To: iris@hort.net
Date: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 3:21 PM

We had discussed the use of various plant labeling tactics a few months ago
Paw Everlast Labels, vinyl siding, vertical blind strips, and gray PVC pipe)
ways to mark all of them and their inherent difficulties and suitabilities
unsuitabilities compared to the current labeling methods and availabilities.

I did some extensive web searching and I may have found a product that might
of use to those interested.  It is called SeaBoard or MarinaBoard.  I have
copied two links for you to look at.

The second link offered to quote a price for cut-to-size boards.  None of the
other sites really offered cutting to the size range we would need.  Of
you could buy a whole sheet ranging from 12" X 96" to 48" to
96" and everything in between and cut it yourself. Most people don't
have the equipment necessary to do that or willing to put forth the effort
it could be done for you, right?

Below I copied the email conversation with the MarineBoard salesman.  The
1/4" x 24" x 54" board would yield 24, 27" long pieces if
cut to 2" wide and 36 pieces if cut to 1 1/2" wide and 27" long.
Cost $79 (plus shipping) Keep in mind it's lightweight and in theory this
product lasts a long time (it's used for boats!)

   >We can cut your strips. Add $20 to each board cost.

   >1/4" = $59.29 + $20

   >1/2" = $79.06 + $20

   >Thank You.

   >Joe F - General Manager

   >Toll Free: 87Plastic4U ( 877 527 8424 )
   >Fax: 570 282 6862
   >10 Enterprise Dr., Carbondale, PA. 18407

   >> I see that you offer MarinaBoard cut to size.  I am looking to have

   >> your product cut into strips 1 1/2" - 2" wide and
27" long.  Would
   >> you be willing to do that?.. and if so how much would the total
   >> be for the the each of the two sheets listed below?
   >> MarinaBoard White 1/4" X 24" X 54" (MBW25-240540)
   >> Black 1/2" X 24" X 54" (MBB50-240540)
   >> Thank you in advance
   >> Paul Archer

I plan to purchase some and give it a try.  I'll have the 1/4 inch board
cut into strips and then mold the top end to an angle for the label.  I found
link describing working with the product.  VERY Helpful.

Any thoughts?

Paul Archer