HYB: germination observations

Thought you guys might be interested in a few observations this winter:

1) This is the second year to see seedlings coming up from crosses between my own seedlings.

One pod had zero germinants last year, germinating well now after being burrito'd the first fall, then on the sunporch (above freezing) for a couple of months, then outdoors for late winter/early spring, not brought back indoors till a few weeks ago when temperatures that had been mild for awhile suddenly dropped to single digits.

Both parents in the cross were second year germinants. Based on this result, that's going to be a problem for my breeding program, since some crosses (including the grandparents in this one) seem to be producing stronger seedlings the second germination season. :-(

rats.

2)survival following torture - one pod that was burrito'd year before last fell out of the big bag in the fridge containing the rest of the burritos. I didn't discover it until February (i.e., in the fridge from August till Feb), by which time the paper towel and seeds were completely dry. I immediately potted them up, put them outdoors and crossed my fingers. None germinated last spring. I brought the pot in to the sunporch a couple of weeks ago and they are starting to sprout.

Tough little dudes!

3) This is the first year to experiment with Miracle gro potting mix as a germination medium for seedlings. They love it. It doesn't dry out as fast as the more finely milled seed germination I've used in the past, plus seems to wet more easily. Not recommended for seeds from lines that don't tolerate mulch and moisture, but my kids are thriving in it. Too much nitrogen, so there's too much top growth to suit me, but it makes them look nice <g> One baby already has a little mini-rhizome the size of a pencil eraser.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8