Re: Cult: soil testing

Hi Robin

Here in South Australia many gardeners have pHs of about 8.5. I've seen pHs, here in SA, from in 5.4 to more than 9 and the bearded irises do well in all, but different ones will flourish at different pHs. Bearded are supposed to like slightly alkaline, so 7.9 would be lovely.

I hope you are keeping nice and warm, wouldn't want to be in Kentucky. We haven't been able to do much outside lately. Had a major heat wave with a week of temps over 43oC (over110cF) but very low humidity less than 20%. Just sucks the moisture out of the plants.

Colleen Modra

Adelaide Hills
South Australia

www.impressiveirises.com.au

Robin Shadlow wrote:
A friend is working at a soil testing lab and they do free testing for
employees.  She got her results, but then wondered what the optimum soil
constituents should be.
I didn't do a search, but wondered what the group's opinion on this might be. Oddly her pH is 7.9 (we tend to run neutral in Nebraska) Irises grow in a
good range of pH, so if they are growing well, would it be better to leave
that well enough or bring it more towards neutral?
Thanks for your help, Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE
working outside!!! almost had forgotten what that felt like : )