HYB: first green leaves sprouted

  • Subject: HYB: first green leaves sprouted
  • From: D S <proverb_31@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:35:34 +0000

Hi All,
Sorry I disappeared there for a bit. I was totally overwhelmed by the volume
of mail from this and another list that picked up speed at the same time.

Thank you to all who shared your experience with germinations, I read every
one and felt I learned so much from each of you.

I'll never remember correctly who said what but someone explained that iris
seeds vary a lot in appearance. I found that very interesting as all of mine
look like various sized 3 sided corn kernels with only slight variation in the
gold coloring except one cross that is dark brown.

Someone commented that I may have crossed the ploidy boundary in some cases.
One of my goals was to try to find out the ploidy on some of the unknowns (or
at least have an educated guess). In that light I took obviously modern
(tetraploid) iris pollen across the NOID historics & visa versa. Since they
set well and produced volumes of seed in most cases (up to 77/pod) I think it
suggests the historics are probably also tetraploid. That helps me place them
on a timeline. I do have two crosses with medians so I may have crossed ploidy
with them. Those were very difficult to get any seed set compared to the
others and the seed in each pod was sparse.

Someone else commented about the seeds going through a slimy stage & through a
'leaching' stage. I did notice this with my seeds but didn't realize it is an
important part of germination so did not keep track of which ones did this.

I've had a few more germinations mostly from the same crosses that germinated
some seeds earlier, but one new one too.

And FINALLY, I have 3 green sprouts today. I planted these germinated seeds in
the cups on 2/19 and today have first green leaves emerging on 3 of 6 from
that cross that were planted that same day. So that is 16 days from planting
before leaves emerged.

This is from a cross where all the previously germinated seeds rotted and I
suspected too high of a temperature after potting. This time I put the cups in
a cooler room. In fact, I left the bags of ungerminated seeds in there for a
couple weeks and that is where I got more germinations. The remaining seeds
are back in the fridge for a couple weeks now.

The cool room does not have good lighting. When will the seedlings tolerate
warmer tempratures?

Oh, and I met Paul Black when he presented to Reg 20 on Feb 28th. What a neat
person & great program. This was my first meeting of any kind since joining
AIS. It was nice to meet some of the others here in CO who are hybridizing and
showing iris. Paul taught the judges workshop after his program and I learned
a lot from that too.

Debra Scott
AIS reg 20
Windows Live Contacts: Organize your contact list.