Re: HYB: heritable traits (from photos)

  • Subject: Re: HYB: heritable traits (from photos)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:45:02 -0500

Donald, my experience has been similar to both yours (no apparent
pattern) and Mary Lou's (strong parents give strong seedlings).

Some strong parents give strong seedlings, some don't.  I figure there
is a suite of heritable traits that add up to a strong plant, seems like
some act as a dosage effect, with all factors adding together, others
plus or minus (not dosage).   In other words all weaknesses recessive.

Explains why some crosses using strong parents give strong seedlings,
others don't.  I wish there were some way to know how strong the cross
was in general when picking parents - maybe if all sibs from the cross
were strong, then the strong seedlings might be carrying fewer recessive
weakness genes.  If that makes any sense at all, physiologically and
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8