HYB: handling pollen

  • Subject: HYB: handling pollen
  • From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:13:40 -0700 (PDT)

Seeing signs of bloom stalks has me thinking about pollination plans.  (Bloom
stalks in my greenhouse, it was 12 degrees outside this morning; I'm at 4200
feet in central Oregon.)  Since the discussion seems sparse these days, I
thought this newbie would take the opportunity to throw out a couple
questions.

I have done some iris hybridizing in the past;  just using what
was blooming at the time.  Inspired by all of the advice and discussion here,
I am making some more serious plans for this years crosses.  Some of these
will definitely involve crosses from pants blooming rather far apart in time.
I have seen references to freezing pollen, but how long can iris pollen be
stored in a cool dry place?  What type of containers do people find work best
for moving pollen around in the garden?  When I was doing considerable rose
hybridizing, I used baby food jars, but the volume of pollen was quite a bit
higher.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill