Re: HYB: handling pollen

  • Subject: Re: HYB: handling pollen
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 06:17:30 -0500

I use two different "containers" for pollen - folded paper "envelopes" or some little plastic pop top craft thingies that are the diameter of those round labels people use for pricing. My sister bought them for me, maybe at Target? I've not seen them for sale anywhere myself.

The poptops provide some protection if I'm collecting from several different cultivars (i.e., doesn't matter if I drop them), but paper is easier to label and unfold to dry under lights. Humidity (i.e., >80%) is a huge problem here, pretty much unavoidable during bloom season. Pollen viability seems to drop quickly without refrigeration. Good as new for a day or two, starts going down after that. I usually collect new pollen in the heat and somewhat lower humidity of the middle of the day, dry overnight, use as early as I can the next morning. After another day, more or less, put in the fridge where it dries further. Last year, I started putting pollen containers in the fridge in dried milk, per suggestion here. Made me feel like I was taking better care of it, not sure whether it made a difference.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8