HYB: TB: yellow patterns?

  • Subject: HYB: TB: yellow patterns?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:54:12 -0500

I've been going thru old and new catalogs (rainy day) looking at patterns in yellow (or pink or orange) tall bearded irises and can't find anything quite like what I'm looking for. Maybe someone can help?

I'm looking for either white or yellow (or pink or orange) standards, white falls with a yellow (or pink or orange) rim or band around the outside edge <and> a blotch or wash of yellow (or pink or orange) around the beards.

I've found many white falls with a band of yellow, quite a few with yellow shoulders, but can't find anything like that. Is there such a thing?

Some of the medians are close - maybe this pattern would have to come from them? i.e., Arianna photo in Tempo Two catalog looks like it, although from description, the "honey" color around the beards is maybe due to added anthocyanin, not just yellow.

I wonder if the combination of yellow 'amoena' with a really wide white rim and no white around the beard crossed with something with white falls and a yellow rim could produce the pattern I'm looking for.

Chuck, have you thawed out of the snow yet?  Any suggestions?
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8