Re: Re: HYB: handling pollen

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: handling pollen
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:39:10 -0400

<<square sticky notes to make envelopes (like Betty does) or else close them with a plastic paper clip to keep them from spilling (when dropped <g>)?>>

Slight clarification . . .

I use the sticky note envelopes when I put pollen in the freezer.? (found at an online daylily site) They don't take up much space and I can put many in one personal sized envelope, which is inside a?large ziplock type bag. With powdered milk in the bottom. ? Each miniature envelope has just enough room for the name of one cultivar. I row them up inside the envelope so I can see most at a glance.?

For the garden . . .
I carry a cloth?tote bag.? This is an upgrade from the plastic bag for many reasons, but one reason is the size.? I buy a new box of personal sized envelopes each spring.? I always carry a handful of blanks/empties in the tote bag.? Lots of room for writing on the outside and lots of room for pollen if I do massive collecting, which I do sometimes.?

Should I decide to freeze any of the collected pollen, I dry the anthers on a paper/plastic plate, if needed, and then I put them in the small sticky-note envelopes.? Most people might want to remove the bottom of the anther to reduce moisture content.?

Most of my materials are rather basic.? They involve whatever I have on hand. ?I live in?the country and rarely have the patience or time?for a trip to town.?

I apply pollen by hand (mine.)? I don't have to make a trip to town to get those!? <smile>

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
KY Zone 6