Re: HYB: TB: yellow patterns?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: TB: yellow patterns?
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:58:29 -0400

Never say never is true.

But in this case there are a few things going on to be aware of. First, is that the pumila spot would appear to be only on the 8 chromosome set from pumila, and the variagata spot appears to only be on the 12 chromosome set. With each spot we can have inculison or exclusion of pigment from this spot, in both pumila and variagata. There have been some pictures posted of SDB and IB with both pumila spot including cartenoid, and variagat spot excluded, to give a yellow pumila spot with a rim in the variagata spot cartenoid excluded.

In SDB, the 8 chromosome set have the glaciata form of the plicata allele and the 12 chromosome set can have all three identified plicata alleles. So SDB plicatas operate as diploid in plicata inheritence. In SDB, they are are not true tetraploids, but amphidiploids, with 8 chromosome sets pairing with 8, and 12 pairing with 12. Only in the MDB and in IB do we get the imbalanced pairing. With fertile IB's there may be some funny gene counts going on. Their hasn't been any gene counts to be sure what is happening. I have suspected that some fertile IB may actually be tall SDB genetically, so not realy an uneven IB.

It is only with fertile MDB or IB with unbalanced pairs, can we expect there to be the possibility of gene crossovers, and by this get pumila spot genes into the 12 chromosome set.

What this means is that the patterns seen with SDB and IB are very unlikely with a 12/12/12/12 chromosome TB. I have seen a number of IB at TB height, so you could get a TB imposter with this pattern, but the flowers would be not TB size.

I keep hoping to see a crossover on plicata alleles to 8 chromosome set, but so far no luck. Same with pumila spot onto 12 chromosome set.

Chuck Chapman