Re: HYB: seed pots

  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:21:19 -0500

I used Miracle Gro potting mix (not the water retaining type) for seed germination this year for the first time, and while germination was quite good, and not damping off to speak of, I too am not happy with all the rampant top growth and relatively weak root growth. Lots of roots, but thin and weak. Too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus to suit me.

Next year, I plan to mix some sawdust or some other nitrogen sink with it. Hope I remember!

Or maybe I won't - although I worried about them when I transplanted them to bigger pots, survival was 100% in most crosses and they have continued to grow like crazy. Hope yours do the same, Francelle.

I did crop the tops a little more than usual for transplanting, just to be safe....
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8