GLOBAL IRIS: was proposed AIS Awards Ballot

  • Subject: GLOBAL IRIS: was proposed AIS Awards Ballot
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:16:17 -0400

<<, this is where we were when this forum started in 1996.?>>

After years of dealing with this situation, I'm a bit hesitant to even stick my toes in this pool of??water!? Step lightly!?

My thought is that Loic may have hit on part of the answer to this problem.? Last fall, I was showing my recently planted seed pots to my son.? Without him, the work I've done out here would have been impossible!? He is my helper, mows, tills, supports, listens, but could not be considered a gardener.? I mentioned to him, that the pots on one end held the seeds from Loic.? He gave a start and said, "Seeds from?The Netherlands?will sprout here?!"

A seed exchange might?be a good path to relieving this problem.? The exchange needs to go from zones 7-10 to the colder zones.?If people in the colder climates were to sprout seeds from the warmer climates, in theory, only the stronger would survive the process from seed to bloom.??

Would someone, in the coastal areas, be willing to accept the challenge in such a project, for the advancement of the iris in the colder zones??

Would people in the colder zones be willing to grow such seed??

I've?lots of questions!???I've found answers, which tend to work?for me, in zone 6, but no answers for the masses.?

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
KY Zone 6