Re: Re: RE:HYB:Glaciata-genetics-second thoughts

>Thus, if glaciata gene is "pla" and a variation of plicata  and on
>the same gene site, then it will work as Jan indicated. If it is on a
>seperate gene site and acts as a modifier gene then it will work as I
>had outined and you would need both sets of genes in full recessive
>form for expression. I beleive that there are two sets of genes on
>diferent sites. The second site could either be for the luminata gene
>or for the glaciata gene or both. This  certainly enters into
>theoretical areas. I will need to reflect on this some more and go
>back to my hybridizing  records to pull out the information I have.

I guess there hasn't been enough work done on this to say for sure. My
understanding was that the glaciata pla was located at the pl allele, and
the luminata plu 'might' be or perhaps not. This might be worked out using
statistics, if someone was willing to do enough crosses, and spend time
growing them on, and testing the crosses, and recording the results. That is
probably nearly as big an ask, as expecting someone to unravel the DNA
strand, and translate the results using electron microscopy, or whatever
fancy techniques they use these days.
I think it would be more fun just hypothesising the results of a cross, from
studying it's pedigree, then doing the cross and seeing what shows up.

Cheers, Jan

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/975682848/