Re: HYB: Hardy Pinks

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, IRISROT@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 11/29/2000 5:54:10 PM Central Standard Time,
> patriciabrooks@c... writes:

> have patience.
> Has anyone gotten a decent growing seedling from the BB "Pixie
Prince"? If
> you have never seen this iris it's the most gorgeous pink you have
ever laid
> eyes on bar none. But it's not a grower and so far has passed this
trait on
> to it's children. I have used the likes of "April In Paris", "Pink
> "Vanity" and a seedling of Clifford Benson 66-11. But I am going to
> until I get something that will grow
> Jim Loveland, Fenton,MO Zone 5
I have had problems with Pinks that tend to be not very hardy in
colder climates and have been working on this. the best that I have
done so far is "Eramosa Miss" a pink/apricot BB that is very haardy
and does well in the winters of Ottawa, Canada. Others that I note as
being extra hardy in cold that I would suggest are, Celebration Song,
Master Gardener, and Wench. while none of these are pure pink, they
are lycopene recessives. The dark color of the falls with Wench and
Celebration song should be controlled by a dominant gene, so some
offspring from first generation should be pure pink, and definatly
with the second generation. These last two have very nice pink of
standards and should produce nice children.