Re: HYB: Color Registrations

On 1 Dec 00, at 11:58, sharty48@compfun.net wrote:

> I have just gotten into Iris and have been wondering why the Iris
> Society does not use a STANDARD color chart, such as RHS or one of the
> others ? This is very confusing when trying to get a true picture of a
> description from a catalogue. I realize the RHS is expensive but not
> having a standard color chart seems a disservice to the newbe. The AIS
> could require the colors be registered from a specific chart starting a
> specific year. food for thought, Sid

	AIS phased-out its 'standard' color chart and color coding with the
1969 checklist.  Thank goodness it's no longer a requirement!

     Currently, you can register irises using RHS, M & P, other
charts, or none at all.

     Nuances of color vary with the beholders, soils, cameras, color
separations, etc., and that is why I, and a lot of others, do not use
a color chart when registering an iris.

     I have problems trying to picture such color descriptions as
'old roseleaf,' 'capucine buff,' 'rich gold,' etc.

	I can picture the color when the description says 'butter yellow' or
'sky blue.'

     Guess it's just me, but I am happy with the rules just as they
are.

     Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts